For most women and especially those experiencing hair loss, hair extensions are a godsend. They not only give you the look of luscious, voluminous locks anytime, they also give you the ability to style your hair any way you want and feel absolutely amazing.
Hair extensions are not exactly like your own hair. Therefore, they need extra care in order to last long. This means keeping them tangle-free and clean with the right shampoo.
The Difference Between Your Hair and Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are not really attached to your scalp. The scalp is typically the source of hair’s nutrients and natural oils that keep it healthy and moisturized. Without proper care and maintenance, hair extensions will degrade.
The Best Shampoo for Hair Extensions
There are many different shampoos and other products in the market today claiming to be the best for hair extensions. What’s really important when choosing a shampoo for hair extensions however is that it is sulphate- and paraben-free. These chemicals can be quite harsh and tend to make hair extensions fall out a lot easier. It’s best to opt for organic or more natural shampoos like Louticia Grier’s Scalp Protection Shampoo as these are gentler on hair extensions.
For curly hair extensions you could try shampoos with coconut milk and coconut oils as these help keep frizz at bay and give your hair more smoothness and shine. Shampoos with shea butter are also good for keeping extensions moisturized and smooth. Beautiful Hair Renew Lotion is an excellent product too. It’s specially formulated to give your hair extensions body, shine, detangles, and provides a coating of protection from harmful elements.
Tips When Washing Hair Extensions
Of course, even the best shampoo will have little to no effect if you don’t wash and care for your hair extensions properly. Apart from choosing the right shampoo, use these tips to ensure that your lovely new locks are not only clean and moisturized, but will also last a long time:
- Gently comb out tangles before washing hair extensions, and always be careful when washing them so as not to pull any of the hairs out.
- Don’t use hot water when washing hair extensions, or expose them too often to heat or hot tools as these can damage the hairs.
- Condition extensions at least once a month from the mid-shaft to the tips to keep them looking healthy and shiny.
- Avoid using alcohol-laden hair products as alcohol can cause dryness and frizz.
- After washing, dry extensions carefully by blotting them with a towel and letting them air dry.
- Never sleep with wet extensions on. If you must wear them while sleeping, make sure they are completely dry and braid them into pigtails to prevent tangles.
Looking for a good shampoo for your hair extensions? Look no further than Uptown New York Style. Visit our shop now to view our available shampoos and other hair care products for hair extensions and natural hair.
You may also enjoy reading: Are You Choosing The Right Hair Color For Your Skin Tone?