There’s no perfect shampoo for hair extensions and human hair wigs. However, certain types of shampoo should be avoided. Any shampoo with oils and silicone that make your hair smooth and shiny should not be used. These types of shampoos can make your hair extensions lose their hold on the rest of your hair. This will cause your hair extensions to unbind from your natural hair.
The Difference Between Your Hair and Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are not really attached to your scalp. The scalp is typically the source of hair’s nutrients and natural oils that keep it healthy and moisturized. Without proper care and maintenance, hair extensions will degrade.
The Best Shampoo for Hair Extensions
There are many different shampoos and other products in the market today. Generally claiming to be the best for hair extensions. However, the best shampoo for hair extensions should be sulphate and paraben-free. These chemicals can be quite harsh and tend to make hair extensions fall out a lot easier. It’s best to opt for organic or more natural shampoos like Louticia Grier’s Scalp Protection Shampoo. These are gentler on hair extensions.
Shampoos with coconut milk and coconut oils are good for curly hair extensions. They help keep frizz at bay and give your extensions more smoothness and shine.
To keep hair extensions moisturized, use shampoos with shea butter.
Beautiful Hair Renew Lotion is an excellent product too. It’s specially formulated to give your hair extensions body and shine. In addition to its detangling properties, it provides a coating of protection from harmful elements.
Tips When Washing Hair Extensions
Of course, even the best shampoo will have little to no effect if you don’t wash and care for your hair extensions properly. Apart from choosing the right shampoo, use these tips to ensure that your lovely new locks are not only clean and moisturized, but will also last a long time:
- Gently comb out tangles before washing hair extensions. And always be careful when washing them so as not to pull any of the hairs out.
- Don’t use hot water when washing hair extensions. Or expose them too often to heat or hot tools as these can damage the hairs.
- Condition extensions at least once a month from the mid-shaft to the tips to keep them looking healthy and shiny.
- Avoid using alcohol-laden hair products as alcohol can cause dryness and frizz.
- After washing, dry extensions carefully by blotting them with a towel and letting them air dry.
- Never sleep with wet extensions on. If you must wear them while sleeping, make sure they are completely dry. Braid them into pigtails to prevent tangles.
Looking for a good shampoo for your hair extensions? Look no further than Uptown New York Style. Visit our shop now to view our available shampoos and other hair care products for hair extensions and natural hair.